Cordyceps Flower Collagen Soup with Premium Fish Maw
- 500g of chicken bone-in or your favourite protein; sub with your favourite veggies for a vegan option.
- 2L boiling water + extra to blanch protein & soak herbs
- 4 generous slices of ginger
- (Vegan / Optional add-ins) Aromatics such as dried and fresh mushrooms (eg. shiitake mushrooms, wood ear mushrooms, mushroom medley mix), root vegetables, firm tofu, spring onion, coriander, nuts (peanuts, walnuts, cashews) etc.
- Salt to taste
- (Optional) 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
(Vegan option - disregard step 1, 3 & 4)
- Blanch-wash protein (you may use a separate pot to your soup pot to perform this step): Add protein to a medium-sized pot & fill with enough boiling water to submerge protein. Bring to boil.
- In the meantime, rinse the herbs in cold water to 'awaken' herbs.
- Once the liquid has boiled, boil for an extra 1 minute before discarding the liquid & any brown foam from the pot.
- Give the protein another rinse under water to clean any impurities and fat.
- Prepare 2L of boiling water in your soup pot. Strain rinsed herbs and add to your soup pot with protein, ginger & any aromatics.
- Bring to boil and continue boiling for 15 minutes.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 2 -3 hours.
- Stir in shaoxing rice wine (if using) and season salt to taste. Rest for 5 mins before serving.
- If adding more protein than the recommended amount, ensure all ingredients are submerged in water.
- You can add a combination of chicken bone-in as well as lean chicken for enhanced flavour.
- For a clean and clear soup, remove any skin and fat from protein.
- Ensure fish maw is soft before consuming. You can cut up into smaller pieces once soft and dip in sesame oil / soy sauce / chilli oil for extra flavour.
- Store leftover herbal soup in the fridge. When you are ready to serve, just bring to boil.