herbal DESSERT "glow" cooking instructions
- 1.2L water + extra to soak and rinse
- Rock sugar or sugar of your choice to taste
- Fruits such as ripe papaya, Asian pears
- Pandan leaves (tied into a knot)
- Milk / mylk / coconut milk for a creamer texture
- Chia seeds for added texture
- Day before cooking - In 3 seperate bowls, submerge & soak overnight at room temperature until expanded and softened:
- peach gum in 500ml water (once rehydrated will triple in size)
- snow lotus seeds in 200ml water (once rehydrated will double in size)
- snow swallow in 300ml water (once rehydrated will be 10x it's size)
- When ready to cook - Drain peach gum, snow lotus seed and snow swallow. Remove any black impurities from peach gum and snow swallow. Use tweezers if preferred.
- Rinse snow fungus, honey dates, red dates and longan. Add into a pot with 1.2L water.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 mins.
- Add rehydrated peach gum, snow lotus seeds and snow swallow to pot. Continue to simmer for 15 mins.
- Turn off heat. Stir in goji berries and let it sit for 5 mins.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Notes on method and optional aromatics
- This recipe gives a dense dessert. Add extra water if you prefer a more liquid dessert soup.
- Add sugar to taste at the end of cook. Note that when left chilled overnight, the herbs will further infuse and sweeten the dessert.
- If adding fruits, pandan leaves and / or chia seeds, add into pot during 'Cook Step 1'. Remove pandan leaves before serving.
- For a creamier texture, drizzle preferred milk/mylk or coconut milk before serving.
- Due to the nature of peach gum and snow swallow, you will likely notice some black bark impurities.
- Store any left overs in the fridge and consume within 4 days.